Thursday, August 31, 2006

Okay you cwuddy wabbit, I know you're in there, come on out


We have rabbits at our place. Lots of rabbits. When I walk around our paddock around dusk I see litterally hundreds of the cute little bunnies. Rabbits are a big problem in Australia. English settlers, trying to turn Australia into England, introduced rabbits to the landscape. Only problem was, contrary to England, there was no natural predator so the rabbits did what they do best: they bred like, um, rabbits.

Thing is, rabbit meat is really yummy. So, in my new incarnation as a "gentleman farmer" I've decided to do something about our rabbit infestation while providing good tucker for the family. My solution was to build a trap. Not a leg trap or anything cruel like that but rather what is refered to as a live trap. Besides, I don't want to end up harming any native wildlife (although it would be cool to catch a bandicoot so I can see one close up before releasing it). I based my design on something I found here and this is the end result:


I put the trap out last night but I haven't caught anything yet. Maybe tonight I'll get lucky.

Of course, catching a rabbit is just the first part. Then, you have to, gulp, kill the cute little fella and then skin and clean him. I've only ever killed bugs, fish and when I was about 13 or 14 I had to kill one mouse that my Mother had captured under a pot in the kitchen sink and accidentaly ripped off it's leg - I chose to drown him by holding him down with a straw in a margarine tub filled with water. So, I'm not sure how I'll fare and I don't think a rabbit will fit in a tub of margarine. I guess I'll try to wring it's neck... As to skinning and cleaning, well I googled and came up with this lovely pictorial essay. We'll see how I go!

In the meantime... I'll keep you posted. If anybody has any useful tips or suggestions, please leave them in the Comments section.

Update:
This evening, we noticed that Terrapine was scratching around her ears and face. Upon inspection, we realised that she had a sudden flea infestation. Later on I found a headless bunny in the basement. My guess is that Terrapine caught her first (?) bunny and while chewing off it's head caught an entire flea circus.

Result: Terrapine 1 . . . . . . . . . Marc 0

Oh, and don't worry about the fleas. Terrapine gets a regular dose of flea meds so they will die disappear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so gross, I'll have crazy nightmares now (imagining your cat eating a rabbit's head while fighting off fleas).

I admire your commitment to building a trap, looks more like a medieval torture contraption but what do I know. Rabbit is delicious indeed, tastes like chicken (joking). I'm off to Croatia, I won't be able to check on your blog as much.

Edith said...

I didn't mind the rabbit head too much (didn't see it). Marc always gets rid of these not-so-nice little presents the cats bring us now and then (all headless: lizards, birds, mice).

What made me cry - and I couldn't stop myself, being just a little over sensitive at the moment - is my little Terrapine fighting and scratching to get rid of the nasty fleas from her ears and eyes. The rest of her body seems immune to them due to her treatment. After Marc The Brave killed most of the fleas and cuddled me a few more times, I got settled and could finally go to bed.

Have a great time in Croatia! Chanceux!